Sunday, January 06, 2008

latex and footnotes

In latex if you have a footnote and a figure with b (bottom) placement attribute on the same page, then the figure will be placed under the footnote. The result is really ugly....

I was searching for a way to fix this. Of course the straight-forward solution is to use the h (here) attribute in the figure and put the figure's code in the position you want, but this is not the best thing to do.

Well.. there is a way to force the footnotes to be always placed at the bottom of the page. You can do this by using the footmisc-package. By using this package you can change the default typesetting of footnotes. If you include the line:
\usepackage[bottom]{footmisc}
in latex preamble you get the desired footnotes behavior.

25 comments:

imkira said...

I was using the float package with [H] placement and my footnotes were kind of misplaced...
Thank you very much for this tip, it helped me a lot!

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much, i was looking for some command to hold the footnotes fixed on the bottom of page indemendently of amount of written text. this works perfeclty !

Anonymous said...

:-) hmm this blog is on the other side of planet, if my post was made 6:34AM.
I have in middle Europe 3:35PM

Nikos Skalkotos said...

It's in Greece. I think I have the timezone not properly configured. Now i'ts 21:24 according to my clock

Nikos Skalkotos said...

timezone fixed.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, that was what I needed.
Paul

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that info. This is just what I was looking for.

Anonymous said...

This is also just what I needed for my thesis. Thanks Nikos. What would we do without bloggers?

Anonymous said...

Thankyou so very much. Was searching for going on a hour before I found this nugget. Genius!

Carlos Souza said...

Well done! Thanks a lot from Brazil!

Nikos Skalkotos said...

You 're all Welcome!

Anonymous said...

Να' σαι καλά ρε Νίκο! ΑΑΑ τιπ (tip)! :D

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot for this tip!

Anonymous said...

thank you!
you've helped a lot!

greetings from hungary :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks, really useful :)

Mikhail said...

It didn't help me. I have twocolumn article. I experience wrong order of images (i.e. fig. 7 before 6) besides one float below a footnote.

Mikhail said...

In case someone else is suffering with twocolumn, floats, and footnotes...
It worth a try to use the following

\usepackage{ftnright}
\renewcommand\footnoterule{\vspace*{-3pt}%
\hrule width 2in height 0.4pt
\vspace*{2.6pt}}

Slovenian guy said...

Thank you - very useful

Anonymous said...

Thanks man...
God bless you
:)

Anonymous said...

Great Tip ... Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that info. This is just what I was looking for.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much from Ontario Canada :)

André L said...

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

off white shoes
off white clothing
alexander mcqueen shoes

Anonymous said...

russell westbrook shoes
bape sta
jordan travis scott
kyrie irving shoes
bapesta
bape
supreme hoodie
yeezy 700
supreme outlet
supreme clothing